Subject: Re: XFree86-libs not detected
To: Juan RP <juan@xtraeme.unixbsd.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/24/2004 14:50:10
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 14:26:11 +0200
Juan RP <juan@xtraeme.unixbsd.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 14:21:54 +0200
> "Julio M. Merino Vidal" <jmmv@menta.net> wrote:
>
> > AFAICT there is no problem in doing that.  If a pkgviews package depends on
> > overwrite packages (as is happening here), it will be installed as overwrite
> > (i.e., for a package to work as pkgviews, all of its dependencies must be
> > pkgviews too).  Isn't it?
>
> Quoted from mk/buildlink3/PKGVIEWS_UG:
>
> You will need to start with a clean system to use pkgviews.  Depoted
> packages, a.k.a "pkgviews" packages (packages that are built using
> pkgviews) cannot depend on non-depoted packages, a.k.a.  "overwrite"
> packages, although the reverse is possible.
>
> Xrender and friends are pkgviews, but not kde3/XFree86...

So what?  In this case Xrender is not built yet.  It depends on XFree86
(overwrite), so XFree86 gets installed as overwrite.  Then, when building
Xrender, it should be built as overwrite, because one of its dependencies was
installed as such.  And later, kde3 will be built as overwrite, because its
depends (Xrender and XFree86) are too.
A package is not pkgviews by itself.  It's pkgviews when it's installed.

This is what I understand... if it doesn't work like that is a different thing :P

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>