Subject: Re: RCD_SCRIPTS and MESSAGEs
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/23/2004 16:43:41
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> >  1) To enable "wwwwoffled" to start on boot on NetBSD-1.5 or newer,
> >  please copy "${RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR}/wwwoffled" to "/etc/rc.d/" and add
> >  "wwwoffled=YES" to /etc/rc.conf. To do the same on older systems,
> >  add the following to /etc/rc.local:
> >
> >  if [ -x ${RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR}/wwwoffle ]; then
> >      ${RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR}/wwwoffle
> >  fi
> >

> > The above will work, but is wrong.

I just noticed above will not work because the filename is wrong. (It
should have a "d" at the end.)

> Which part of that is wrong, and why?

That MESSAGE and a few others reference using the RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR
as the place to run the rc.d script from. A few pkgsrc users and
developers have suggested that RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR be changed to
/usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/ (as the default). I hope to do that soon. (I
have been using that on a couple machines for at least a year.)

So the MESSAGE will suggest using /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/wwwoffle as
the script to run. Because it is an "examples" script, it may seem wrong
for some users to read that.

It seems like we should suggest they manually or automatically copy it to
RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR.

I meant to provide a quick example of a good MESSAGE for this, but didn't
do that yet.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/