Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/databases
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/21/2004 19:07:55
[ On Wednesday, April 21, 2004 at 09:43:01 (-0400), James K. Lowden wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/databases
>
> The package is free to organize its documentation as it pleases within
> /usr/pkg/share/doc/<pkg>/.

This is probably what is most important here -- avoiding unnecessary
hacks to packages.

>  I agree that if there's a body of text files
> and a body of HTML, it can be worthwhile to segregate them.  Within the
> package's tree, that is.

That's still kind of silly/pointless at best.  All browsers I've used,
and all web servers I've used, can easily view/transmit/serve files of
any type of file that are likely to contain some kind of readable
information (or some kind of image).

Having HTML and related files segregated might help some people
(especially those with rigid views on file typing :-) do some kinds of
maintenance on those files, but segregation in the "published" form is
ludicrous and can only serve to obfuscate unnecessarily.

--
						Greg A. Woods