Subject: Re: State of MacOS X support? (specifically HFS+)
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
From: Dan Winship <danw@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/21/2004 18:25:52
On Apr 21, 2004, at 10:24 AM, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> OK, is the case sensitivity requirement just for building?  Can I
> install
> the binaries on a regular HFS+ partition and expect things to work?

The biggest problem (I think) is actually devel/CVS vs devel/cvs in the
pkgsrc tree. (Working around this would require cvs server surgery and
would mildly break all existing pkgsrc checkouts.)

The binaries themselves mostly won't care whether they're on a
case-sensitive or case-insensitive filesystem; the problem is with
packages that want to install conflicting files (like
${PREFIX}/bin/abiword and ${PREFIX}/bin/AbiWord in editors/abiword1).
But the majority of packages would build and install fine on a plain
HFS+ partition, and the ones that don't wouldn't require too much
patching. (Proof of concept: fink doesn't require a case-sensitive
filesystem.)

-- Dan