Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/databases
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Volker A. Brandt <vab@bb-c.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/21/2004 18:52:36
> There is also a consistency problem; html is currently a special case,
> rather than having txt/html/pdf subdirectories, there is html and
> packages.
>
> I note that info is already a special case, but that makes sense only
> because of how info readers work.  Web servers can serve all sorts of
> documentation formats - certainly txt/pdf/html.

Good point.  This brings me to the following idea:

Why not emulate the way info works for the html format?  There is
a central directory file (called "dir") in every info directory.

There is a tool in the texinfo distribution that creates nicely
formatted entries in the directory file.  Anyone using an info
reader will find the entry, regardless of the file name the info
entry might have.

Why not create an index.html at top level (i.e. in /usr/pkg/share/doc)
and provide a little tool to make well-formed entries in this index
file?  That way, every package could keep their html documentation
somewhere under /usr/pkg/share/doc/<package>, and it still would be
found.

And all we would need to tell the user is "point your browser to the
index file, and see what html documentation is installed".

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt                  Consulting and Support for Sun Solaris
Brandt & Brandt Computer GmbH              WWW: http://www.bb-c.de/~vab/
Meckenheim, Germany                                   Email: vab@bb-c.de