Subject: pkgsrc on Interix: libtool works; other status
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/21/2004 11:04:05
So it turns out, according to one of the original folks from the Interix
project, that gcc's -fpic/-fPIC options produce broken code.  This was
causing no end of headaches porting libtool, but once that option was
explicitly removed for Interix, the NT loader DTRT and shlibs now work.
pkgsrc/devel/libtool-base 1.5.2nb7 fixes this isse, and is now the minimum
allowable version of libtool in defs.Interix.mk.

There remain some shlib issues, the most notable of which is that the
default shlib image base is 0x10000000 for all libraries.  I'm going to add
a rather ... interesting ... hack to libtool to make this less likely to
require oodles of runtime relocation; stay tuned.

This all means that a large chunk of pkgsrc has now opened up to Interix.
gettext-lib and gtexinfo work, as do several other libtool-using packages
I've tried.  More to come; keep watching tech-pkg.

(A still notable missing package: perl5.  I'm working on that one next week
or later.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>