Subject: Re: FreeBSD and "checking the maximum length of command line
To: Juan RP <juan@xtraeme.unixbsd.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/16/2004 20:31:41
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 20:12:04 +0200
Juan RP <juan@xtraeme.unixbsd.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:05:40 -0700 (PDT)
> "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:
>
> > I still get a very long wait for "checking the maximum length of command
> > line arguments..." when building libtool-base-1.5.2nb5 under FreeBSD.
> >
> > defs.FreeBSD.mk has:
> >
> > +# check for maximum command line length and set it in configure's
> > environment,
> > +# to avoid a test required by the libtool script that takes forever.
> > +.if defined(GNU_CONFIGURE) && defined(USE_LIBTOOL)
> > +_OPSYS_MAX_CMDLEN!=    /sbin/sysctl -n kern.argmax
> > +CONFIGURE_ENV+=                lt_cv_sys_max_cmd_len=${_OPSYS_MAX_CMDLEN}
> >
> > Should that CONFIGURE_ENV be used in other situations, like building
> > libtool-base?
>
> Errm, ignore my previous mail... I was too fast ! :) I think we should set it
> when using libtool or not.
>
> Because there are some packages that doesn't require libtool, so the value is
> not  cached.

So what?  If a package does not use libtool, it won't use that value at all
(or not with the same name), as it comes from libtool.m4.  So it's useless
w/o libtool.

(It shouldn't cause trouble with other packages not using libtool, though)

The other and _correct_ solution is to patch libtool's check in libtool.m4
to DTRT in NetBSD/FreeBSD, send the patch back to authors, and wait for the
next version, where this won't be needed for libtool itself ;)

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>