Subject: Re: pkg/25187: "make update" broken after removal of recursive dependencies
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jukka Salmi <jukka-netbsd@2004.salmi.ch>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/15/2004 23:03:09
Hi,

wiz@NetBSD.org wrote:

> >Number:         25187
> >Category:       pkg
> >Synopsis:       "make update" broken after removal of recursive dependencies
[...]
> >How-To-Repeat:
> Install three packages: a, b (depending on a), and c (depending on b).
> Run "make update" in a's directory -- only a and b get reinstalled,
> c gets removed but not installed back.

I'm using pkgsrc for about one year now, and as far as I can remember
"make update" never worked for me. But I never really investigated why...

E.g., today I updated pkgsrc and noticed that graphics/lcms was updated.
I have this package installed, along with graphics/mng and graphics/gimp
(gimp depends on mng which depends on lcms). I executed "make update" in
pkgsrc/graphics/lcms: all three packages got deinstalled, lcms was
rebuilt from source and installed, and that was it. mng and gimp were
not reinstalled.

My pkgsrc relevant /etc/mk.conf settings:

.if defined(BSD_PKG_MK) && ${BSD_PKG_MK} == "1"
WRKOBJDIR=	/build/pkg
BINPKG_SITES=	# empty
UPDATE_TARGET=	bin-install
.endif	# BSD_PKG_MK

What I want to achieve with these settings is that updated packages
get updated by "make bin-install" if there already is a binary package
on my system, and built from source otherwise.

Is there a problem with my settings? I got used to always save a
pkg_info -a output before I update any package, so I can add those
packages which are missing after the updates manually.

Hints are appreciated!

TIA, Jukka

--
bashian roulette: