Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/graphics/gimp
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/10/2004 07:37:42
On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, Martin Husemann wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 10:13:27AM +0200, Juan RP wrote:
> > I wanted to be sure that gimp requires and links to the correct fontconfig
> > version.
>
> WTF does it need a incompatible version at all? This should by all means
> be avoided, IMHO.
>
> This font issue is getting out of controll, a more general solution is needed,
> like not building fontconfig in src/x11 or xsrc at all.

Usually, when you replace a system library, you give the replacement
a different name, or put it in a private directory, or take other
steps to ensure that applications can get the one they want. Consider
"curses" vs. "ncurses". The freedesktop developers obviously don't
care about that at all.

Frederick