Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/graphics/gimp
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/10/2004 11:33:17
On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 01:34:51 -0700 (PDT)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, Juan RP wrote:
>
> > Overriding USE_BUILTIN.fontconfig will make this always getting fontconfig from
> > pkgsrc and in the future we'll don't have to explain to the end-user that the
> > XFree86's fontconfig builtin does not work with Gimp 2.0 :-)
>
> Any volunteers to get XFree86 to not install its out-dated fontconfig (and
> other out-dated components)? (This is tough, because some components
> depend on each other: chick-or-the-egg.)
>
> Any volunteers to get the xlibs (individual packages for each XFree86-libs
> components) to be complete enough to replace XFree86-libs? (In most cases,
> this works for me.)

I'm working on packages for X.Org ATM, and it's easy to use the pkgsrc versions
of expat and freetype2.  For other things, like Xrender et all, it's not so
easy, and well... I don't think it's worth it, because we could end up with
xorg packages that install almost nothing.

If we want an X implementation that works with individual packages, using
everything from pkgsrc, we must go for xlibs from fdo.

Cheers

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>