Subject: Re: pkg_add and default umask
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/09/2004 14:15:45
On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

: I should learn my lesson, but I have done it again: installed over 100
: packages with umask 0077.
:
: So any created directories, many symlinks and some files have rwx------
: permissions. Ouch. (It took a while to clean up over 900 files.)
:
: Is there any reason not force a sane umask value with pkg_add?

sigh.  I removed this from pkg_add because 022 is not the umask used by all
pkgsrc-supporting platforms.  The tech-pkg thread for it is in the archive
for March somewhere.

I'll re-add this to pkg_add and use the DEF_UMASK variable in
pkgtools/pkg_install to parameterize it so that pkgsrc/bootstrap-using
platforms will get their Correct values.  This is probably what I should
have done from the beginning, but didn't think of it the first time around
for some reason.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>