Subject: Re: Dynamic PLISTs
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Dan Winship <danw@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/07/2004 20:42:03
> while testing pkgsrc under Linux, I hit some PLIST problems because
> some
> packages install different files depending on the build system.

Yeah, I've run into that on OS X too, but the flip side is that
sometimes the PLIST mismatches point out a real problem (usually
shared-library related). It would be nice to preserve that feature if
we could, but I can't think of any good way that isn't morally
equivalent to static PLISTs.

I can't actually think of any specific examples of this right now
though. I'll try to keep an eye out for them...

> And, for those packages that don't support staged installs... well, we
> could either fix them (which could require many patches), or continue
> use static PLISTs (which could mean that the staged install is disabled
> for that specific package).  I don't see any problem in keeping them
> for
> packages that can't be easily converted.

Well, if we got rid of static PLISTs completely, we could get rid of a
lot of bsd.pkg.mk hacks...

There's also a bug open about some packages installing man pages
differently (man/cat/compressed/not) based on what they think the local
convention is, which pkgsrc doesn't currently cope with. That problem
would also go away.

-- Dan