Subject: Re: INSTALLATION_DIRS and binary packages?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/07/2004 20:59:03
INSTALLATION_DIRS is only needed when installing from sources; that's because
it's in  When the package gets created, with a file inside the
man/man1 directory, that directory will get created when extracting the
package (tarball), so the file can be placed in it.

${MKDIR} lines and/or MAKE_DIRS, are only needed to create empty directories.

Hope this helps, if I understood you properly.

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:35:47 -0700 (PDT)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <> wrote:

> I saw that lang/mawk does not create the directory for the man page.
> So I was about to commit INSTALLATION_DIRS for it to create the man
> directory.
> But now I see that INSTALLATION_DIRS is only in mk/ for creating
> at pkgsrc-based install time.
> Maybe MAKE_DIRS should be used instead?
> Or maybe INSTALLATION_DIRS should set MAKE_DIRS usage?
> Or maybe INSTALLATION_DIRS should automatically place some
> "@exec ${MKDIR}" lines in the PLIST file?
> I'd prefer to not use mtree because it makes unnecessary clutter of
> directories on minimal install systems.
>    Jeremy C. Reed

Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
The NetBSD Project -