Subject: Re: graphics/libexif-gtk and gtkam and GTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED failures
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/07/2004 08:28:12
On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 02:56, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 07:07:39PM +0200, Robert Lillack wrote:
> > Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > > What does this GTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED mean?
> > >
> > > And is this related to new gtk+-2.4.0 update?
> >
> > Yes. This define (as the name implies) disables deprecated
> > features of your GTK lib. Looks like gtkam does *not* use
> > features which have been deprecated in 2.2 but it *does* use some
> > deprecated in 2.4. Now, call that "API & ABI compatible" again...
> > ;-/
>
> It's compatible as long as you don't use *_DISABLE_DEPRECATED, AFAICT.
> Maybe there is a newer version of gtkam and libexif that works with
> GTK+ 2.4 out of the box?  If not, I think removing those defines is ok
> (maybe some BUILDLINK_TRANSFORM magic can avoid manual patching? ;).

The same problem was noted after the recent pkgsrc gtk upgrade with ham/xlog
that uses the _DISABLE_DEPRECATED_ compiler switch. I worked around it by
removing this switch after which the package built fine. I was sort of hoping
to see a new release of xlog, however, it may be necessary to add a patch in
the interim.

The problem here again is that the maintainer of the gtk packages insisted in
setting the BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.variable gtk2?= gtk2+>=2.4.0.

Most packages will still build with the older version of gtk2, so the above
restriction isn't required and over the top causing a great many users
headaches and pain, e.g. in my case I being unaware of the introduction of an
updated version of gtk2 was naive enough to issue "make update" in
pkgsrc/xlog which consequently deleted all gtk dependencies including all of
the KDE3 environment.

May I ask those who upgrade the BUILDLINK_DEPENDS variable for a particular
package to give it throrough consideration before changing it, especially for
those packages that have a major impact on pkgsrc? I seem to be spending more
time in keeping my system up-to-date then doing actual development work. Most
dependencies will happily built with the older version, if already installed,
an there is no pressing need to force users to upgrade. Typical examples are
ghostview, jpeg, tiff, gtk, qt3 to name a few.

Again, I'm sick and tired of needing to rebuild the whole system because the
maintainer of a package decided to keep the BUILDING_DEPENDS variable in line
with the current version of that particular package.

cheerio Berndt
--
Name	: Berndt Josef Wulf		| +++ With BSD on Packet Radio +++
E-Mail	: wulf at ping dot net dot au	|    tfkiss, tnt, dpbox, wampes