Subject: official NetBSD i386 packages for netbsd-1-6 from MAIN pkgsrc?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/06/2004 14:18:56
What do we need to do to provide official NetBSD i386 packages for
netbsd-1-6 based on MAIN pkgsrc?

It would be very useful if binary packages were publically available on
NetBSD ftp servers for the latest pkgsrc for NetBSD 1.6.2 (especially for
i386 platform).

I don't know if this has changed, but using FreeBSD as a comparison:

 For example, the FreeBSD FTP servers have several package collections,
 like: packages-5-current, packages-4-stable, and packages-4.4-release.

 Jordan Hubbard, a former FreeBSD core team member, said the "-stable
 collections are continuously refreshed by build machines which also run
 -stable, allowing changes in both the OS and the ports collection to be
 reflected in the packages."

 The FreeBSD packages are all built using the same ports collection,
 Hubbard said. "Only the package build's machine OS version
 or architecture changes."

(That's from an old article of mine.)

Anyways, I want to be able to quickly fetch a recent binary package.

Is anyone planning to upload i386 packages based on the main pkgsrc?
(Right now it has "stable" pkgsrc.)

And can new updated packages be uploaded daily or couple times each week?

Does the NetBSD project have resources to do this?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/