Subject: Re: read-only pkgsrc
To: Charles M. Hannum <>
From: grant beattie <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/06/2004 09:31:27

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 04:14:53PM +0000, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> > WRKDIR_BASENAME is the name of the work directory that is created (or
> > the symlink to it if WRKOBJDIR is set and if pkgsrc is writable).
> Uh, I think a more important point is that the symlinks are completely=20
> useless.  I've had a private changes in my tree to remove them for years.

I actually find them quite helpful, instead of moving back and forth
between file systems, I can just 'cd work*' and end up in the work
dir, and cd .. to get back to the pkgsrc heirarchy (though traversing
symlink paths like this is a shell specific thing).

they are a convenience, do absolutely no harm, and do not get created
(obviously) on read-only pkgsrc, which is that this discussion is about.

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (NetBSD)