Subject: Re: read-only pkgsrc
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Georg Schwarz <geos@epost.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/05/2004 19:54:34
> I think Grant mentioned this before:  at the moment, pkgsrc can't be
> read-only because even with WRKOBJDIR set, it will create symlinks for
> the workdir.  The attached patch fixes this by allowing the user to set
> PKGSRC_READONLY, and, if that is set, default to /tmp as
> WRKDIR_BASENAME.  With PKGSRC_READONLY set, we might want to consider
> some more defaults: DISTDIR, PACKAGES, ... ?

I am wondering what is the point of having an explicite PKGSRC_READONLY
switch. I would prefer if it was clearly documented which directories
pkgsrc writes to (and actually writes to only these), and how the user
can set them to whereever he or she wants.

--
Georg Schwarz    http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
 geos@epost.de     +49 177 8811442