Subject: Re: read-only pkgsrc
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/05/2004 16:14:38
On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> I think Grant mentioned this before:  at the moment, pkgsrc can't be
> read-only because even with WRKOBJDIR set, it will create symlinks for
> the workdir.  The attached patch fixes this by allowing the user to set
> PKGSRC_READONLY, and, if that is set, default to /tmp as
> WRKDIR_BASENAME.  With PKGSRC_READONLY set, we might want to consider
> some more defaults: DISTDIR, PACKAGES, ... ?

I used pkgsrc in a read-only scenario last week, and it worked fine.
It would be nice if it could be auto-detected if it's writable or not
(make the workdir/link and if it's not there assume it's read-only)
without requiring the user to learn even more varables by heart.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>