Subject: Re: INFO_DIR not used
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/02/2004 21:27:35
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Stoned Elipot wrote:

> ==> And well now that info files are no longer listed in PLIST files
> but automatically added the the package inventory listing I suppose
> that yes this can be done. I mean you can consider INFO_DIR to be a
> package builder/user knob vs a package creater/maintainer knob.

Yes, it would not be different from package to package only package-wide.

> But I won't do it I guess i.e. I would not provide more
> shoot-yourself-in-the-foot opportunities :} Besides $prefix/info
> is a pretty well established convention, isn't ?

Debian has single /usr/info/dir file and many /usr/share/info/*.info.

> Oh right NetBSD uses /usr/share/info...

Can some others test this too?

Add to the .if defined(GNU_CONFIGURE) section in mk/bsd.pkg.mk:

+.  if !empty(INFO_FILES)
+CONFIGURE_ARGS+=       --infodir=${PREFIX}/${INFO_DIR}
+.  endif

(I have seen a few packages with troubles already, like editors/ed which
has a very old configure script.)

And if you are more adventurous, then define INFO_DIR to something (even
"something") in your mk.conf.

On one of my boxes, I made ${PREFIX}/info a plain file thatis unwritable.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/