Subject: Re: bsd.buildlink3.mk >=1.132 3x slower than 1.131!
To: Dan Winship <danw@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/02/2004 18:46:18
On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 11:38:27AM -0500, Dan Winship wrote:
> > Why do we need all the tests that were added in revision 1.132
> > (bsd.buildlink3.mk)? they are decreasing performance for targets as
> > "checksum, makesum, package, install" etc.
>
> I'm having much worse problems than that with some packages. I think
> it's caused by the March 18 BUILDLINK_PACKAGES fix to all of the
> buildlink3.mk files, but now it takes me 27 seconds just to get an
> error message back from typing "make asdfasdfasd" in graphics/gimp
> (because it's spending all of that time reading and re-reading and
> re-re-reading dependant buildlink files).

Indeed.  It is slow, VERY slow.  And it shows to the maximun power during
a 'make install'; it takes forever, specially before and after the "shared
library handling".  I can't stand it, and this is an XP2600+, so guess what
will happen on those not-so-old machines!

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>