Subject: Re: malloc.h [was Re: graphics/gle on fbsd 5.2.1-rc]
To: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
From: Dan Winship <danw@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/31/2004 20:44:41
On Mar 30, 2004, at 7:32 PM, Michal Pasternak wrote:
> 3 solutions.
>
>  * create package called, for example, "fix-includes", and make whole
>    pkgsrc include it as BUILD_DEPEND for FreeBSD 5 and MacOS X. It
> would
>    include bl[23] files that would symlink malloc.h to stdlib.h
>
>  * make the symlinking quietly, inside bl2/3, for those 2 platforms
>
>  * patch the packages:
>
>    - FreeBSD says "malloc.h has been depreciated". I wonder, if the
> standard,
>      that depreciates this has some wide recognition, or is it only a
>      bsd-ism.
>
>        - in the first case, include a temporary solution via bl2/3,
>          and wait for updated versions of packages

As someone else noted, malloc.h has been obsolete since the original
ANSI C spec. About half of the packages that use malloc.h are things
that haven't been updated since the mid 90s and aren't likely to ever
be updated again.

For packages that are still being maintained, the right long-term
answer is to get them to fix the packages. For packages that aren't
still being maintained, doing a buildlink hack might make sense, but
since there's a definite upper bound on the number of
packages-that-haven't-been-updated-since-the-mid-90s, and we're not
likely to import many more that we haven't imported already, it
wouldn't be all that hard to just patch them too and be done with it,
rather than adding more complexity to buildlink that will need to be
maintained forever (even if it is only a tiny bit of complexity).

-- Dan