Subject: how to reset LOCALBASE so files are installed to own PREFIX
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/31/2004 17:34:02
I looked at the qmail package and see how it sets LOCALBASE.

So I tried to do same on a Linux system (so I could have a LINUXBASE
setting to / so the kernel and modules would be installed to
${LINUXBASE}/boot/ and ${LINUXBASE}/lib/modules).

But then pkgsrc broke:

sh: line 1: //sbin/pkg_info: No such file or directory

And:

 reed@puget:/usr/pkgsrc/wip/linux-kernel$ cd ../../mail/qmail
 reed@puget:/usr/pkgsrc/mail/qmail$ bmake show-var VARNAME=PKG_TOOLS_BIN
 sh: line 1: //sbin/pkg_info: No such file or directory
 //sbin

So under only NetBSD this works because PKG_TOOLS_BIN will fall back to be
/usr/sbin. But on other platforms it is under ${LOCALBASE}.

Maybe I understand this wrong, but it looks like when using the qmail
package and others like it, you could get wrong or out-of-date
/usr/sbin/pkg_* tools.

Any suggestions on how I can have a LINUXBASE setting to / so the kernel
and modules would be installed to ${LINUXBASE}/boot/ and
${LINUXBASE}/lib/modules ??

Thanks,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/