Subject: pkgnames of pkgsrc directory named *-current
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/31/2004 16:51:26
I am working on some scripts to help figure out dependencies for upgrading
packages.

On my box, I saw that lynx is available to upgrade and (based on my list
of available packages), I had two versions available:

lynx-2.8.5.0.7nb3
lynx-2.8.4.1.4nb2

There should not be two available. I guess I could try to use biggest
version.

But now I see that lynx-2.8.5.0.7nb3 is www/lynx-current.

How does someone easily know what package they are installing from the FTP
site?

It seems like packages based on beta code should have that in the package
name, for example: lynx-current-2.8.5.0.7nb3

(Then the makefiles could have CONFLICTS set.)

Any thoughts on this?

Is it okay to blindly install wrong (meaning not official, maybe not
stable) version?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/