Subject: pkgnames of pkgsrc directory named *-current
To: None <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/31/2004 16:51:26
I am working on some scripts to help figure out dependencies for upgrading

On my box, I saw that lynx is available to upgrade and (based on my list
of available packages), I had two versions available:

There should not be two available. I guess I could try to use biggest

But now I see that lynx- is www/lynx-current.

How does someone easily know what package they are installing from the FTP

It seems like packages based on beta code should have that in the package
name, for example: lynx-current-

(Then the makefiles could have CONFLICTS set.)

Any thoughts on this?

Is it okay to blindly install wrong (meaning not official, maybe not
stable) version?

   Jeremy C. Reed