Subject: Re: INFO_DIR not used
To: Stoned Elipot <seb@ssr.univ-paris7.fr>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/31/2004 16:09:00
[ On Wednesday, March 31, 2004 at 20:04:31 (+0200), Stoned Elipot wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: INFO_DIR not used
>
> ==> And well now that info files are no longer listed in PLIST files
> but automatically added the the package inventory listing I suppose
> that yes this can be done. I mean you can consider INFO_DIR to be a
> package builder/user knob vs a package creater/maintainer knob.

Yeah!   And that's a "Good Thing!(tm)"  :-)

> But I won't do it I guess i.e. I would not provide more
> shoot-yourself-in-the-foot opportunities :}

Why would you think this could cause any problems?

> Besides $prefix/info
> is a pretty well established convention, isn't ?

Only in the GNU world, and perhaps not even there if/when anyone pays
attention to which files are architecture independent....

Oh, but what am I saying?  Having info files implies being GNU!  ;-)

> Oh right NetBSD uses /usr/share/info...

As should all SunOS offspring and all of the *BSDs, and anything else
derived from them or designed to look like them.

If we're going support the notion of keeping architecture independent
non-system-specific files under a separate hierarchy then we should be
consistent about it.

--
						Greg A. Woods