Subject: Re: Packages Collection on Multi-CPU Systems
To: James Jacocks <jjacocks@mac.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/31/2004 09:42:03
On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 04:46:27PM -0500, James Jacocks wrote:
> Indeed, that seems to be the case.  I have the best success (although
> not more than 25%) by doing a "bmake config; bmake -j9 build; bmake
> install" on a package whose dependencies have already been satisfied.

I was talking about dependancies inside the same packages. For example,
a package providing a library, and binaries using this library.
If there isn't an explicit dependancy on the library in the makefile,
and it rely only on rule order processing, a parallel make will probably fail
(will try to link programs before the library is done).

This is an issue in the package's Makefile themselves, not pkgsrc,
and fixing all thoses is a lot of work.

> This is definitely a significant issue on boxes like mine; I have 8
> relatively slow processors.

Sure. I'd like to be able to use a cluster of m68k to build packages too :)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>