Subject: Re: sun-jre14 issues
To: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/30/2004 18:45:15
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:35:41 -0500
"Louis  Guillaume" <lguillaume@berklee.edu> wrote:

> I'm not sure whether something is wrong with this package or with my
> system config.
>
> Here's what happens...
>
> $ java -version
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread stack
> location
> Could not reserve enough space for object heap

> The kernel has "COMPAT_LINUX"
> It's a i386 machine running NetBSD-current (1.6ZK)
> Setting JAVA_HOME doesn't help
> mk.conf has "PKG_JVM=sun-jdk14"
> These are the binaries from Sun...
> 	j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.bin
> 	j2sdk-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.bin

Please read sun-jre14's installation message.  You can do that by simply
issuing 'pkg_info sun-jre14' (or in case your pkg_install tools are old,
by adding the -D flag).  Specially, look at the datasize comments.

> So I have some questions...
>
> Should I be reverting to 1.3.1 at this point or does anyone have this
> working in a stable fashion?

1.4 works fine here.

> Do we pay a performance penalty for running java in Linux compatiblility
> mode?

Short answer, no.

> Are we at Sun's mercy when it comes to having a native JRE or are there
> alternatives that work?

You can try kaffe and sablevm, both in pkgsrc/lang, though their class
libraries are not complete (specially WRT graphical classes).

Cheers

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>