Subject: Re: New package - py-twisted
To: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/30/2004 07:21:20
On March 29, 2004 12:13 pm, Michal Pasternak wrote:
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain [Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:35:45AM -0500]:
> > I had so much fun with epydoc that I thought I would dive in with another
> > that I am interested in.  See
> > ftp://ftp.druid.net/pub/distrib/py-twisted-pkg.tgz.
>
> Well, here's my part of constructive criticism :) This looks much better,
> than the last pkg you did, but there are still some minor enhancements you
> should consider :)

Thanks.

>  * you are porting obslolete release :) Current twisted is 1.2.0, see
>    wip/py-twisted.

Yah, I guess I need to check out wip more closely.  I just find dealing with
two trees for effectively the same thing confusing.  Why not import your
package into the NetBSD repository?  It sounds like yours is more mature.

Anyway, I did upgrade mine.

>  * USE_BUILDLINK2 could be either changed to USE_BUILDLINK3 or (perhaps)
>    totally omited

I removed it.  The package seems to build OK.

>  * why do you PLIST_SUBST PYLIB?

Copied from another package.  I thought that it was needed.  I removed that
too.  The package still builds and installs.

>  * docs, as you can see in wip/py-twisted-docs, go much better without
> being installed together with python package. Why? First, you must remember
> about CONFLICTS, that it could create (eg. each package for each Python
> version wants share/doc/twisted/). Okay, you did remember about this. But
> then, installing docs to separate directories, named with PYPKGPREFIX is
> also not a good idea - you install the same files witch each package, which
> is no sense. Separate doc package, which does not depend on Python, fixes
> this

OK so keeping all the docs together is OK but you suggest dropping the Python
version.  The only problem I see there is in the following scenario:

 - install py23-twisted
 - install py23pth-twisted
 - uninstall py23pth-twisted

Won't you be left with a package installed but no docs?

Of course, looking at it now I see that I have the same problem with binaries.
I guess I need your patch to fix that.  What about doing something to create
symlinks for the latest version of the package so that the names without the
suffix work too.  Not sure how to clean that up on pkg_delete though.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@netbsd.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/