Subject: Re: #define name for non-root pkg_install tools
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/29/2004 15:12:55
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Todd Vierling wrote:
: > What do you think I should do with the changes to address the two issues
: > above?
:
: The umask one never hit me on Unix (I tried Linux & Solaris as non-root).

...but as two different users with the same gid?

: Looking at it, I wonder if we should fiddle with umask at all, or just
: remove the setting of umask.

I'd fully favor removing the umask call altogether.  IMHO, the sysadmin
should DTRT, and when running as root, the umask shouldn't matter.

: The "warn if we're not root" one - probably makes only sense on Windows
: based systems, and should probably be #ifdef'ed as such. (Your patch looks
: ok, dunno if we'll encounter the same thing on cygwin).

Well, I can commit this one as-is; I just didn't want to make it an internal
OS dependency that will annoy folks in the future.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>