Subject: Would pkgviews be appropriate for build-new-before-replace of, say, kde?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Marc Tooley <netbsdMLposterNO@SPAM.quake.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/29/2004 10:06:26
I'm currently running an older version of KDE but would like to upgrade
to the latest pkgsrc'd version. Unfortunately I need the use of KMail
while the new kde is building because on my system the new KDE takes
just over a day of gentle pkgsrc version nudging and rebuilding to
complete and I need to access my email using KMail during that time.

Is it possible to use pkgviews to build to a new location while I'm
still using the non-pkgviews build of KMail actively?

Or, is there some way to set LOCALBASE (and some other variable I'm not
aware of) to somewhere else to start with a simulated "clean slate" as
it were, and then when the complete builds are finished, delete the old
packages and rename the new build directories..?

Feels a bit like I'm looking for a packages double-buffering
technique. :) Ha ha..

Comments much appreciated, thanks in advance!

-Marc
p.s. don't reply to my From: address without taking out the no-spam
stuff. In fact, I'd prefer if you just reply to the list itself and not
me. :) Spam has been quite nasty lately and while I've finally gotten
to the point where I receive no spam, I'd would like to try to keep it
that way.