Subject: Re: New package - py-twisted
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
From: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/29/2004 19:13:38
D'Arcy J.M. Cain [Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:35:45AM -0500]:
> I had so much fun with epydoc that I thought I would dive in with another that
> I am interested in.  See ftp://ftp.druid.net/pub/distrib/py-twisted-pkg.tgz.

Well, here's my part of constructive criticism :) This looks much better,
than the last pkg you did, but there are still some minor enhancements you
should consider :)

 * you are porting obslolete release :) Current twisted is 1.2.0, see
   wip/py-twisted.

 * USE_BUILDLINK2 could be either changed to USE_BUILDLINK3 or (perhaps)
   totally omited

 * why do you PLIST_SUBST PYLIB?

 * docs, as you can see in wip/py-twisted-docs, go much better without being
   installed together with python package. Why? First, you must remember
   about CONFLICTS, that it could create (eg. each package for each Python
   version wants share/doc/twisted/). Okay, you did remember about this. But
   then, installing docs to separate directories, named with PYPKGPREFIX is
   also not a good idea - you install the same files witch each package,
   which is no sense. Separate doc package, which does not depend on Python,
   fixes this

Thanks and good luck with new packages! Perhaps you could consider getting a
pkgsrc-wip commit bit. Also, as port2pkg doesn't always work too good (IMO),
have a look at url2pkg, for example.

Take care,
--
Michal Pasternak :: http://pasternak.w.lub.pl :: http://winsrc.sf.net
For your Occupation, choose 2 of the following three: