Subject: Re: New package - py-twisted
To: Marc Recht <recht@netbsd.org>
From: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/29/2004 19:07:24
Marc Recht [Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 05:50:31PM +0200]:
> >If developers are expected to start packages in pkgsrc-wip then perhaps
> >we can  add something to http://www.netbsd.org/developers/pkgsrc/
> >explaining that.
>
> I don't know if we should expect developers to start packages there, we
> could put a pointer to pkgsrc-wip there, though.

IMO we shouldn't, but as wip repository contains lots of packages, it is a
*must* to document it somewhere. NetBSD doesn't have large developer
community, and as you can clearly see, being disinformed makes you repeat
somebody's else work, which - IMO - is even worse, than not doing something
at all. It is not darcy@'s fault - it is our fault, that pkgsrc-wip is not
documented / suggested in official NetBSD documentation. Also, it is much
easier to cvs up from one source, than download .tgz packages from different
developers, different URLs...

Of course, some people could treat pkgsrc-wip as a project not serious
enough to document it, but measuring only the directories - pkgsrc/*/* (with
wip) is about 5812 directories, wip is 823, which is about 15% of that.

That's a lot of work.

--
Michal Pasternak :: http://pasternak.w.lub.pl :: http://winsrc.sf.net
For your Occupation, choose 2 of the following three: