Subject: Re: X11_TYPE=XFree86
To: Christoph Badura <bad@bsd.de>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/29/2004 14:34:36
On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:48:50AM +0200, Christoph Badura wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 02:31:49AM +0200, Juan RP wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 02:11:50 +0200
> > Christoph Badura <bad@bsd.de> wrote:
> >
> > > Does the name change imply that on machines that ship with XFree86 native
> > > pkgsrc XFree86 will not be used?
> >
> > Yes, by default X11_TYPE is native (xsrc), but if you change it to
> > X11_TYPE=XFree86, this will be used from pkgsrc.
>
> Well, then the options should probably be "native" and "pkgsrc".
> XFree86 is meaningless when you have XFree86 in base and pkgsrc.

Well, "native" implies the system X11 on more than just NetBSD, e.g.
OpenWindows on Sun and X11R6 on IRIX.  The remaining values for X11_TYPE
are to match pkgsrc package names.  The values that X11_TYPE takes
are in line with similar *_TYPE values used in pkgsrc, so I think they
are well-named for pkgsrc's purposes.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>