Subject: Re: automatically strip(1)ing?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/28/2004 13:22:20
[ On Friday, March 26, 2004 at 13:01:52 (-0800), Jeremy C. Reed wrote: ]
> Subject: automatically strip(1)ing?
>
> Should pkgsrc automatically strip(1) libraries and executables?

NEVER EVER _automatically_ strip libraries or executables.

As an option -- perhaps, but never _ever_ automatically.

> Should we have an option to enable auto strip(1)ing of installed object
> files?

Any such option should default to only stripping the installed objects,
never the intermediate product files.

I would also suggest very strongly that by default only debugging
symbols should be stripped (e.g. if '-g' has been included in the build
then it's useful to have an option to strip its effects, and only its
effects, from the installed files).  Keeping the rest of the symbol
table is really not that much of a burden in the vast majority of cases
and it helps immensely with debugging, _especially_ for libraries.  With
symbols in place even non-programmers can much more easily provide
useful debugging information to those who can do something about it.

--
						Greg A. Woods