Subject: Re: finding the linker with gcc3
To: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/28/2004 09:22:11
On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> Look in "lang/gcc3-c/Makefile.common" at the addition of
> --with-as=fullpath, conditionally on ${USE_BINUTILS} being set. If
> we're pulling in binutils anyhow, we might as hardcode the path to
> "ld", too, with --with-ld. We should probably just switch the test
> from "${AS}" to "{LD}, and bump the version tested for to 2.14.

I had added --with-ld in the past, on general principles, but had
to back it out to fix PR pkg/21848. Nowadays, binutils specifies
--with-lib-path, so the problem described in pkg/21848 shouldn't
occur, and you may have found a good reason to add --with-ld back.

Considering what a can-o'-worms all this is, I think a PR spelling
out the problem (with or without a proposed fix) would be needed in
advance of any commits (please).

Frederick