Subject: automatically strip(1)ing?
To: None <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/26/2004 13:01:52
Should pkgsrc automatically strip(1) libraries and executables?

Should we have an option to enable auto strip(1)ing of installed object

I know some individual packages do strip in their own build system, but
not all do.

Here is an example of a big file:

Native pkgsrc system (installed using pkgsrc):

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      2598868 Mar 20 21:32

Same file now stripped:

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       350088 Mar 26 12:49

Similar file on a Red Hat box:

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       357172 Feb  4  2003

These are to huge files as installed from pkgsrc:

13M     /usr/lib/
12M     /usr/lib/

reed@puget:/usr/pkgsrc$ sudo strip /usr/lib/

reed@puget:/usr/pkgsrc$ du -h /usr/lib/
2.4M    /usr/lib/
2.6M    /usr/lib/

Now here are similar on a Red Hat box (from Red Hat rpms):

reed@puget:/usr/pkgsrc$ du -h /mnt/usr/X11R6/lib/
452K    /mnt/usr/X11R6/lib/
2.4M    /mnt/usr/lib/

(As for that huge size difference I will discuss in another email.)

What do you think about pkgsrc option to strip?

   Jeremy C. Reed