Subject: Re: sun jre and jdk 1.4.2_04
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: M.Negovanovic <milosn@xtra.co.nz>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/26/2004 08:27:01
On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:53:20AM -0500, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It appears that Sun has misplaced or yanked the 1.4.2_04 release of
> their JRE and JDK.  While up until recently, you could go to
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html and find the 1.4.2_04 kit
> linked to, it now is back again to the _03 kit.
>
> You can still download the distfiles for the _04 kits by going to these
> two links:
>
> JRE:
> http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22&PartDetailId=j2re-1.4.2_04-oth-JPR&SiteId=JSC&TransactionId=noreg
>
> JDK:
> http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22&PartDetailId=j2sdk-1.4.2_04-oth-JPR&SiteId=JSC&TransactionId=noreg
>
> I don't know why it's not linked to or why they removed it (the Release
> Notes at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/ReleaseNotes.html still talk
> about _04), and I don't know what we should do with the packages, as
> they now (again) may lead the user to distfiles mismatching.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> -Jan
>
> --
> http://www.ncadp.org

unrelated to this missing files situation(i got mine in time ;) and related
to Sun JVM entries in pkgsrc.

1) For a while these include PREFIX overriding hack which is discouraged
now with BL3. Also this somehow made it in other entries for other JVM
implementations. I have , in my pkgsrc, small addition to
/usr/pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.mk that allows the use of the CUSTOMBASE. Logic is
similar to how X11 packages are installed.

In your Makefile u have:

USE_CUSTOMBASE=YES
CUSTOMBASE=/path/to/custombase

And addition to /usr/pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.mk:

# Set the PREFIX appropriately.
.if ${PKG_INSTALLATION_TYPE} == "overwrite"
.  if defined(USE_X11BASE)
PREFIX=                 ${X11PREFIX}
.  elif defined(USE_CROSSBASE)
PREFIX=                 ${CROSSBASE}
NO_MTREE=               yes
.  elif defined(USE_CUSTOMBASE)
PREFIX=                 ${CUSTOMBASE}
.  else
PREFIX=                 ${LOCALBASE}
.  endif
.elif ${PKG_INSTALLATION_TYPE} == "pkgviews"
PREFIX=                 ${DEPOTBASE}/${PKGNAME}
NO_MTREE=               yes
.endif

Can something like this be included?

2) Since i am using Sun JVM on netbsd, sun-jdk package depends on sun-jre
package  ... do we really need to download both JDK and JRE??? I am sure
that with little script magic lang/sun-jre* can be persuaded to install
from JDK binary if that one is the only one present on the system.

Regards
Milos