Subject: Re: bl3 eating -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/path flags to gcc
To: Dan McMahill <dmcmahill@NetBSD.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/25/2004 19:11:06
On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 07:37:48AM -0500, Dan McMahill wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 04:14:50AM +0000, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> >
> > A little bit of both :)  The pvm3/buildlink3.mk file is missing some
> > settings to tell the buildlink3 framework where to find the headers
> > and libraries.  By default, the buildlink3 framework will add
> > ${PREFIX}/include and ${PREFIX}/lib to the header and library search
> > paths.  If the headers or libraries lie outside these directories,
> > then they need to be specified in BUILDLINK_INCDIRS.<pkg> or
> > BUILDLINK_LIBDIRS.<pkg>.
> >
> > I've committed some changes to pvm3/buildlink3.mk to match some settings
> > that are present in the buildlink2.mk file.
> >

> This helps pkgs which use pvm3, but it doesn't help the binaries built
> by pvm3 itself.

I took a closer look at the pvm3 package, and I'm confused by why it
needs any rpath settings at all to find pvm3 libraries.  It doesn't
look like pvm3 installs any shared libraries (they're not present in
the PLIST), and when I built on NetBSD-1.6.2/i386, there were no shared
libraries built.  pvm3's buildlink[23].mk files should probably contain:

	BUILDLINK_DEPMETHOD.pvm?=	build

since pvm3 only provides static libraries.

Are you trying to convert the package to use libtool to build libraries?
If so, I'm happy to provide some assistance on this, but perhaps after
the 2004Q1 branch is released.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>