Subject: DB variables being passed into sub makes? (gnome-print won't build)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/24/2004 00:11:07
Hi folks,

I was trying to figure out why I couldn't get gnome-print to build, I
was suffering a similair problem to PR 24799, except with db3 not db4.
(note this is on NetBSD-current from March 4th)

gnome-config --libs gnome was including -ldb3 and I couldn't figure out
why.  However I went back deleted the gnome-libs package, and rebuilt
it, and noted that when running make in the x11/gnome-libs dir it
output:
===
The following variables will affect the build process of this package,
gnome-libs-1.4.2nb3.  Their current value is shown below:

        * BDBBASE (defined)
        * BDB_TYPE = native

You may want to abort the process now with CTRL+C and change their value
before continuing.  Be sure to run `/usr/bin/make clean' after the
changes.
===

and the produced gnome-config --libs gnome didn't include -ldb3.

I then deleted gnome-libs and run make in a package that depends on it,
eg graphics/gdk-pixbuf-gnome, and it changed the output to:
===
The following variables will affect the build process of this package,
gnome-libs-1.4.2nb3.  Their current value is shown below:

        * BDBBASE (defined)
        * BDB_TYPE = db3

You may want to abort the process now with CTRL+C and change their value
before continuing.  Be sure to run `/usr/bin/make clean' after the
changes.
===

The produced gnome-config --libs gnome that now includes -ldb3

Is this something to do with mk/bdb.buildlink3.mk?  Looking at the
Makefile for gnome-libs it sets USE_DB185= YES, but the
gnome-libs/buildlink3.mk doesn't do so (should it?)  also the
buildlink2.mk file for gnome-libs doesn't have any kind of bdb include,
so I suspect this is why gnome-print fails as it's still buildlink2.

Note I'm going to try the fix in the PR at some point, but haven't got
the time.  I really don't like the idea of things changing their
dependancies depends.  Has anyone else seen any similair problems with
other packages?

Thanks,
Chris