Subject: Re: bison and tools.mk
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/22/2004 10:04:30
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> I think the problem is that this configure script is really looking for
> bison, when there is only yacc in work/.tools/bin/

Now I am getting same error:

  configure: error: /usr/bin/bison -y is not usable as yacc - consider
  using bison

So this is what it does (please note that my LOCALBASE is /usr in this
example):

+ echo -n 'checking for /usr/bin/bison... '
checking for /usr/bin/bison... + test '' = set
+ test -n ''
+ as_save_IFS=

+ IFS=:
+ IFS=

+ test -z /scratch/pkgsrc/net/libIDL/work.puget/.tools/bin
+ test -f /scratch/pkgsrc/net/libIDL/work.puget/.tools/bin//usr/bin/bison
+ IFS=

(Even if bison was in work.puget/.tools/bin it wouldn't matter since
the directory is wrong above.)

+ test -z /scratch/pkgsrc/net/libIDL/work.puget/.buildlink/bin
+ test -f
/scratch/pkgsrc/net/libIDL/work.puget/.buildlink/bin//usr/bin/bison
+ IFS=

+ test -z /scratch/pkgsrc/net/libIDL/work.puget/.gcc/bin
+ test -f /scratch/pkgsrc/net/libIDL/work.puget/.gcc/bin//usr/bin/bison
+ IFS=

+ test -z /bin
+ test -f /bin//usr/bin/bison
+ IFS=

+ test -z /usr/bin
+ test -f /usr/bin//usr/bin/bison
+ IFS=

+ test -z /usr/sbin
+ test -f /usr/sbin//usr/bin/bison
+ IFS=

+ test -z /sbin
+ test -f /sbin//usr/bin/bison
+ IFS=

+ test -z /usr/X11R6/bin
+ test -f /usr/X11R6/bin//usr/bin/bison
+ IFS=

+ test -z /usr/bin
+ test -f /usr/bin//usr/bin/bison
+ IFS=

+ test -z /usr/X11R6/bin
+ test -f /usr/X11R6/bin//usr/bin/bison
+ test -z ''
+ ac_cv_prog_HAVE_YACC=no
+ HAVE_YACC=no

So the configure script should use the basename of it.

I don't know when this started, because (as I mentioned in email in other
thread), I had been using:
YACC=                  ${LOCALBASE}/bin/bison -y
for a long time.

Anyways, John D. Baker mentioned same problem and a workaround:

HAVE_YACC=yes

I will enable that until someone does a better fix.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/