Subject: Re: looking for Linux testers: libiconv package on glibc systems
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Sebastian Prause <sebastian-p@gmx.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/21/2004 00:44:48
* Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:
| On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Sebastian Prause wrote:
|
| > ===> libiconv-1.9.1nb1 is not needed for Linux; it is included in GNU
| > libc.
| > *** Error code 1
| > [...]
| >
| > Now using either "bmake PREFER_NATIVE=iconv" or "bmake USE_GNU_ICONV=YES
| > PREFER_NATIVE=iconv" makes the build succeed. (Using only "bmake
| > USE_GNU_ICONV=YES" fails with above error message, too).
|
| Did you remove the libiconv package first?

yes I did

| Because it should not need the PREFER_NATIVE=iconv set. It should do the
| right thing without it.

no, that doesn't work

# pwd
/usr/pkgsrc/audio/vorbis-tools
# bmake show-var VARNAME=IS_BUILTIN.iconv
yes
# bmake show-var VARNAME=USE_BUILTIN.iconv
no
# bmake show-var VARNAME=CHECK_BUILTIN.iconv
no
# bmake PREFER_NATIVE=iconv show-var VARNAME=IS_BUILTIN.iconv
yes
# bmake PREFER_NATIVE=iconv show-var VARNAME=USE_BUILTIN.iconv
yes
# bmake PREFER_NATIVE=iconv show-var VARNAME=CHECK_BUILTIN.iconv
no

after a quick look into converters/libiconv/builtin.mk it seems that the
CHECK_BUILTIN.iconv variable must be set to "yes" to make buildlink
consider using the native version. I have no idea where this might get
set - grepping through the mk files revealed nothing (maybe a buildlink3
feature still in the works?)

| > devel/glib2 works, too, so I guess libiconv it's not needed on Linux with
| > glibc
|
| Thank you, Sebastian, for trying this.
|
| (I had set Reply-To and Mail-Follow-up-To in the hopes that the reply
| wouldn't go to both lists. Please reply to tech-pkg@ only.)

mm'kay :)

   -- Sebastian Prause