Subject: Re: is ${X11BASE} assumed to be writable?
To: Juan RP <juan@xtraeme.unixbsd.org>
From: Georg Schwarz <geos@epost.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/20/2004 21:24:38
> > Does pkgsrc write anything (e.g. part of X11-based packages) to
> > ${X11BASE}? If so, is there a way to have ${X11BASE} separate from the
> > X11 files provided by the OS (some of which most likeley will be needed
> > for compiling etc.)
>
> I'm not sure if it will help you, but pkgtools/xpkgwedge will install all X11
> packages into LOCALBASE.

I see. I am probably confused about the precise meaning of X11BASE and the
handling of X11-related files by pkgsrc in general.

Is X11BASE used to indicate

a) where to find X11-related system includes and libs?
b) where to install files of X11-based packes?
c) both of the above?
d) none of the above but something else?

From the docs I would guess c).

pkgtools/x11-links/Makefile checks for the presence of ${X11BASE}/include/X.h.
Problem is that on IRIX 5.3 we have
/usr/{bin,include,lib}/X11/, not ../X11*/{bin,include,lib}/
pkgsrc probably does not provide a means to separately specify where to find
X11 system executables, libraries, and includes, respectively, does it?
Is pkgtools/x11-links exactly meant as a fix for that, with X11BASE (in
the case of IRIX 5.3) required to be /usr?
I would like pkgsrc not to write to /usr but to LOCALBASE only. Does it
do so already by design?
Judging from ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/Packages.txt
the answer seems to be "no".
--
Georg Schwarz    http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
 geos@epost.de     +49 177 8811442