Subject: Re: pkgsrc and solaris
To: Christer Solskogen <>
From: Manuel Bouyer <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/20/2004 20:39:03
On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 12:46:01AM +0100, Christer Solskogen wrote:
> After bootstraping pkgsrc, what do i need more?
> Do i need to set some variables somewhere to get it to work right?

You shouldn't

> What compiler is the "best"? gcc2 og gcc3?

I've built 381 packages with gcc3, including kde3 and parts of gnome2
(I'm not saying it went smooothly, but I got them building :)

If you set USE_GGC3=yes in mk.conf, you have a circular dependancy problem:
(gcc3-c -> gmake -> {libiconv,gettext-lib} -> libtool-base -> gcc3-c

The solution I found: build gmake with your native compiler. Then
build gcc3-c, gcc3-c++ and gcc3-f77. Once you have that, pkg_delete gmake,
libiconv, gettext-lib and libtool-base, bmake clean for each of these packages
and reinstall gmake.
reinstalling up to gmake may not be needed, but deinstalling and rebuilding
(don't forget the bmake clean) libtool is crutial.

Manuel Bouyer <>