Subject: Re: pkgsrc and solaris
To: Christer Solskogen <solskogen@online.no>
From: Jonathan Perkin <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/20/2004 10:01:45
* On 2004-03-19 at 23:44 GMT, Christer Solskogen wrote:

> After bootstraping pkgsrc, what do i need more?
> Do i need to set some variables somewhere to get it to work right?

If you're running as root then the supplied mk.conf should be
sufficient.  If not, then you'll need to put it somewhere, point the
$MAKECONF variable at it and add a few settings to install with
correct permissions (I can provide this if needs be).

> What compiler is the "best"? gcc2 og gcc3?

"Depends" :-)  gcc2 will build around 2,000 of the packages.  gcc3
fixes some bugs with shared library handling on Solaris, but has
more stringent checks which can make some packages which build fine
with gcc2 fail with gcc3.  We've fixed quite a few of these, but
there are sure to be some more around.

We'd welcome any experience you can share, as we're always trying to
improve pkgsrc to make it as easy to use as possible along with
building as many packages as we can on non-NetBSD platforms.

Thanks,

--
Jonathan Perkin                         <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
BBC Internet Services         http://www.perkin.org.uk/jonathan/