Subject: Perl58 not installing correctly when using pkgvieuws?
To: None <>
From: Olaf Seibert <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/19/2004 17:44:06
I was curious about trying pkgviews, since I wanted to install perl 5.6
and 5.8 side by side. That is normally possible, but pkgsrc prevents it.
So I turned on pkgviews the quick-and-dirty way, that is without
deinstalling all packages that I already had (which is quite a lot).

To test it, I tried installing digest, and that worked ok.

So next I installed perl58, and that went not so well. It installed
almost all its files in the place that it normally would. Only 3 files
(static perl, perl5.8.3 and ended up somewhere under

It also overwrote a bunch of files in /usr/pkg/bin, among which a
dynamic copy of perl. Fortunately no real harm is done, since Perl is
supposed to handle side by side installation of different versions

Is this because I cheated with pkgvieuws or is perl58 really broken for

___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@       -- "What good is a Ring of Power
\X/            -- if you're Speak." - Agent Elrond