Subject: Re: GTK 2.4.0 in -wip
To: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
From: Dan Winship <danw@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/17/2004 11:27:55
> GTK 2.4.0 is told
> to be source- and binary-compatible with previous one.. I suppose,
> that in
> the next few days I'll see if that's really true :)

There is one known glitch with source compatibility: GtkOptionMenu is
now deprecated (replaced by the new combo box widget), and while the
code is all still there, the headers are wrapped in #ifndef
GTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED. Many existing gtk/gnome apps unconditionally
define GTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED in their Makefiles, so they'll break if
you try to compile them against 2.4. The fix is to just remove the
offending -D flag. (And many of the affected apps will have new
versions coming out as part of the GNOME 2.6 release next week that fix
the problem.)

-- Dan