Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/www/glibwww
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@NetBSD.org>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/16/2004 23:16:13
--LwbuP8dfxhLLLUfV

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 01:04:07PM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> > My guess is that this happens as soon as you've got "db4" installed
> > on your system which I didn't have before.
>=20
> But how should they find out about db4 being installed? All the
> packages you touched have been buildlinked, so they shouldn't have
> a chance at all.
> I don't see a db4-config or pkg-config file, either.
>=20
> Please investigate further instead of bandaiding around (and
> that in a freeze).

yes, and I'd prefer some slightly more informative log messages than
"do xyz to fix build problem", which provides little to no indication
what the build problem actually is.

if the problem was obvious to the naked eye, a shorter log message
might be okay, but as a general rule it is better to at least explain
the problem if you are confident your fix is correct. it takes a
little longer and "forces" you to think a little more about it, but
it is worth the extra effort.

grant.

--LwbuP8dfxhLLLUfV

--LwbuP8dfxhLLLUfV--