Subject: Re: AIX circular dependencies.
To: Peter Schmiedeskamp <pschmied@yahoo.com>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/16/2004 23:09:52
--D9sZ58tf58331Q5M

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 02:31:21PM -0800, Peter Schmiedeskamp wrote:

> First, I'm happy to report that the latest pkgsrc
> bootstrap code works as advertised on AIX 5.1 here.

hi Peter,

wow, excellent. something changed for the better ;-)

did you build with gcc or IBM's compiler? (xlC, I think it is?)

> The problems start when I attempt to build gcc3.  The
> gcc3 build appears to require a working zcat and
> gpatch in /usr/pkg/....  The only problem, then is
> that both gzip and gpatch also require gcc.

this is a generic problem on all platforms when attempting to use gcc
from pkgsrc.

> I was able to get past this problem by installing
> (from other sources) gzip and gpatch and creating
> symlinks to zcat and gpatch in /usr/pkg/bin.  This
> allows me to build both patch and zcat and continue
> with various builds.  The AIX-included zcat and patch
> don't cut it; I have to use the GNU versions.

this is useful to know, thanks.

> So, my suggestion is that gpatch and zcat (from gzip)
> get installed at bootstrap time?  Does this sound logical?

the more complete approach is to have pkgsrc DTRT with the gcc
dependencies and avoid creating this dependency loop, as you've noted.

I expect work will progress in this area "soon", which won't be before
the freeze is over as infrastructure changes will be required to
properly support it.

grant.

--D9sZ58tf58331Q5M

--D9sZ58tf58331Q5M--