Subject: Re: usage of ${FIND} -xdev
To: Georg Schwarz <geos@epost.de>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/16/2004 22:57:02
On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 11:28:03PM +0100, Georg Schwarz wrote:

> pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.mk uses ${FIND} -xdev. Some (presumably older)
> versions of find do not understand this, they use -mount instead.
>
> This is what the man page of Debian says, for example:
>
>        -mount Don't descend directories on other filesystems.  An
>               alternate  name  for  -xdev, for compatibility with
>               some other versions of find.
>
> Are there any versions of find out there that understand -xdev but do
> not understand -mount.
> Wouldn't it be more portable to use -mount instead of -xdev?

on Solaris this is true. on NetBSD and Darwin, at least, there is no
"-mount" argument to find(1).

I'm actually not convinced that the use of -xdev in bsd.pkg.mk is
correct. it's only used in the print-PLIST target, and I think if one
has a file system mounted on a directory under ${PREFIX}, we want to
descend into that directory in the target.

unless there is a good reason it's there, I'll remove it... seb? ;-)

grant.