Subject: fontconfig/MESSAGE repeated many times
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/12/2004 17:51:08
I installed meta-pkgs/xfce4.

And now the  fontconfig/MESSAGE is repeated 22 times. 22 packages have it
in their +DISPLAY message.

I don't like that behaviour and consider it broken for these reasons:

- It is annoying to read same message many times.

- I don't want same message emailed to me many times
  (using PKGSRC_MESSAGE_RECIPIENTS). (I don't recall if that happened.)

- fc-cache should automatically run when fontconfig is installed and
  whenever font packages are installed or deinstalled.

- If reinstalling one package that had the initial MESSAGE (without
  deleting packages requiring it), then the other packages may have a
  wrong or out-of-date MESSAGE in their +DISPLAY.

- Binary packages potentially may have wrong (older or newer) +DISPLAY.

I recall discussion about merging MESSAGEs, but I thought that was only
for displaying or emailing to the admin. I didn't expect to get same
information saved many times.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/