Subject: fontconfig/MESSAGE repeated many times
To: None <email@example.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 03/12/2004 17:51:08
I installed meta-pkgs/xfce4.
And now the fontconfig/MESSAGE is repeated 22 times. 22 packages have it
in their +DISPLAY message.
I don't like that behaviour and consider it broken for these reasons:
- It is annoying to read same message many times.
- I don't want same message emailed to me many times
(using PKGSRC_MESSAGE_RECIPIENTS). (I don't recall if that happened.)
- fc-cache should automatically run when fontconfig is installed and
whenever font packages are installed or deinstalled.
- If reinstalling one package that had the initial MESSAGE (without
deleting packages requiring it), then the other packages may have a
wrong or out-of-date MESSAGE in their +DISPLAY.
- Binary packages potentially may have wrong (older or newer) +DISPLAY.
I recall discussion about merging MESSAGEs, but I thought that was only
for displaying or emailing to the admin. I didn't expect to get same
information saved many times.
Jeremy C. Reed