Subject: slackware_compat imported to wip/
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/12/2004 14:04:52
Hello,

a moment ago I've imported a basic set of Slackware Linux binary packages
(for use with Linux emulation on x86) to pkgsrc-wip repository (for those,
who don't know yet: http://pkgsrc-wip.sf.net)

Those packages, together with wip/mk/linuxbin.pkg.mk, are example of how the
Linux compatibility libraries can be installed, and how linux_compat layer
can be selected for them. debian_compat, fedora_compat, whatever_compat we
prepare in future, could be using those settings. Feel free to review them
in your spare time.

Those packages also inculde gcc compiler for Slackware. For people with slow
laptops, who want to use pkgsrc on them, this could perhaps mean faster
compilation time (using Linux emulation layer on a strong desktop machine).

Also, even if the binary base is relativley small (30 MB), it allows
compilation of pkgsrc packages for Linux in a chrooted environment (unless I
forgot about something very important[1]). As pkgsrc-wip contains more and more
Linux-only packages (with source), perhaps we could start thinking about
creating the long-awaited Linux distribution - "pkgsrc Linux" (or, with some
blessing from Foundation - "NetBSD Linux" ;). Seriously, linux emulation
chroots could be some help for those of us, who develop packages for Linux.

Take care,
--
Michal Pasternak :: http://pasternak.w.lub.pl :: http://winsrc.sf.net
"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?"

[1] While writing this letter, I did realize I missed a very important thing:
    include/* and lib/* development files for slackware_compat. I'll add them
    shortly, perhaps after creating some utility, that would allow slackware
    binary packages to be converted to pkgsrc format.